After a few weeks in Florida, the Sunshine State, we are finally seeing the sun, waves, and sand the state is known for. Our landing place this week is Topsail Hill State Park near Destin. The park does not resemble typical camping, but more like landscaped parking spots with nice little cement slabs. There is also a swimming pool for those who don't like sand, something you don't see at Michigan State parks. Other states do put Michigan to shame when referring to state parks. I think this is called glamping. Any camping purists would choke, but for us it is a welcomed change with beautiful showers, laundry facilities, camp store, miles of walking/running paved paths and white sandy beaches. It is an older crowd with people staying put for weeks at a time....are we now part of the older crowd ?
Denny's new beach toy
View from the laundry building
The preserve does come complete with snakes, alligators in the lakes, hooting owls at night, bear, coyote, and sandy beaches. (I am avoiding every animal I can.) Best of all, we have wi-fi. It is amazing how necessary it is to our existence for paying bills to trip planning and making reservations for next winter, in addition to keeping contact with everyone. But with every camper keeping up with their grandchildren, it can be a bit slow.
Topsail Hill is a very popular state park which can be difficult to reserve but well worth the try. There are some beautiful cabins on the property for rent if camping is not in your comfort zone. These rent for $100 -$120 for 1 and 2 bedrooms. I saw the inside of a 2 bedroom and it is very pretty, modern and comfortable.
I think a bike hike is slated for this afternoon, our last day at Topsail Hill before heading south a little to Cedar Key.
Happy Campers 99% of the time....
Our new address post

No comments:
Post a Comment